Postcards From The Edge - Carrie Fisher 2/5
                                                       
 

      You ever see reviews for a book and then decide to read it just to see what all the fuss is about? That was my experience with Postcards From The Edge. I vaguely remember hearing about it, but I was fourteen and wasn't really into books about drug addicts and recovery, or the experiences after said person tries to live a normal life. I've never even seen the movie. I finally tracked the book down after Carrie passed and was ready to be blown away by her literary debut, but was left feeling guilty that I didn't enjoy the book, or even find it as good as all the critics said it was. Then as I prepared to write this review I shoved aside the guilt because not everyone is going to feel the same way about everything. It's just a sad part of life.

     I'm glad I borrowed this one from the library and not bought it like I planned. I found Post Cards rather boring, and oddly disjointed. There's parts of the book that seem to make zero sense and you're left trying to figure out why this is even part of the story. The main problem was that Suzanne really isn't  all that likeable. When I read a book I want to connect with a character, or at the very least have a reason for reading, but here, there's nothing. At times it's quite amusing and then my mind began to wander and I forgot half of what I read. The best parts for me were in the drug clinic. There was a linear pattern to the story and it made sense. After that it just fell apart and I couldn't even finish it. I understand what Fisher was trying to say, or at least convey, but I just lost interest and threw in the towel.

     While most of the reviews reflect the passing of Fisher, this one is about my experience with the book, and how I had hoped that it would live up to the hype. It didn't and I don't feel bad about not liking it. I wanted too, but after almost nearing the end I had to quit. I couldn't take anymore. While most books like this try and keep a serious tone throughout, Fisher takes a different route and we see just how difficult life can be when your life spirals out of control and you're trying to find some sort of balance. For Carrie's debut there's not much balance here, just a story that some people adore, but me? I just didn't like it all that much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ball Washer

The Pain and Misery