Monica Lewinsky And Three Bears

     David Cross - I Drink For A Reason 5/5

                                                                   

   


       I have to get this off my chest because for a long time I've been carrying around this anger at David Cross. The guy is funny, but Alvin And The Fucking Chipmunks?!! Are you kidding me? What kind of sell out, self absorbed bullshit is that? A true comedy genius resorted to doing a shitty kid movie?? What kind of shit is that? I expect that from assholes like Larry The Cable Guy, but not you. I forgive you. We all make mistakes man. Wait, that movie paid for your summer home?? Really? Well shit, I'd do a shitty movie to pay for a house. U feel better now. I can go and do this review without any malice or any deep rooted anger. David fuckin' Cross man. Haven't heard of him? He's done stand up forever. The first time I ever saw him was on HBO in '96 and I laughed my ass off. This is the kind of comedy I like. Sarcastic, inventive and intelligent. In the new days of political correctness there's not many guys like Cross left. Guys like Hicks, and Kinison are gone and all we got to replace them were guys like Dane Cook and that redneck bigot Larry The Cable Guy. 

     As soon as I heard about the book I grabbed it and it took me awhile to actually read it. I'm an avid reader and I have this big ass too read list but the last couple of books I read were super serious and I needed something to take me back to a place where shit wasn't so serious. That's when I started reading I Drink For A Reason. As a Cross fan there's a lot to like here. What you have are essays, memoirs and satires. Everything that makes Cross funny is here but in book form. Is it always funny? Honestly no, but the strength of Open Letter To Larry The Cable Guy and even the rants on Jim Belushi makes this a decent read. It's not going to match his stand up stuff even though there are a few pieces of various bits, but it's not supposed to be. That's kind of the point. 

     You can say what you want about Cross but I Drink For A Reason is a great book for those that find Cross' brand of humor funny. What did surprise me were all the negative reviews. Who cares what those people said, or what they think. This book had me laughing and laughing hard. Do yourself a favor and pick this up and David I'm not mad about the Alvin And The Chipmunks movie anymore. If you've never heard of Cross before you should listen to Shut Up You Fucking Baby or at least watch one of his shows, and then read the book. Trust me it's okay. You'll be fine.

     

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ball Washer

The Pain and Misery