The Gore Carnival Boxset

     The Gore Carnival (Book 1) - Various Authors  5/5 stars
                                                       

      This is a massive box set that I thought about reviewing all at once but that would be a massive review so I am reviewing each book as I read them. Makes it easier for all of us. Delving into book one I was really stoked to read this because I'm a fan of quite of a few of these authors. Anytime you have authors of this caliber in an anthology called The Gore Carnival you're in for a treat and no one here disappoints. If you like your fiction filled with body fluids and bizarre sex practices you've picked up the right anthology. This one is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach.

      Kasey Hill has done an amazing job editing this so you get a bit of variety. Not all of the stories are shocking but John Ledger's Three Ring Circle Jerk is a bit of splatterpunk and bizarro mixed together. There's no way to describe it. You have to read it for yourself and fits right into the chaos of the carnival of gore. Jimmy Pudge's Face of Love is another high point of the first volume it's a tribute to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and shows that Pudge can move beyond his comfort zone a bit and write a story that hooks you in from the first paragraph and then takes a turn into a direction you never see coming.

     The fact is that all of these stories are well written and make this a 5 star set. It's short and packed tightly with a lot of great talent. People to keep an eye out for are Cory Cline and Sutter Kane who also bring their A game and keep the Gore Carnival entertaining. These two may be newer to the game but they're two writers I can't wait to read more from. Lastly you have Donald Armfield's poem and I love this guy's stuff. This is another writer that I'm a huge fan of and have never read anything of his that I don't like. That's what makes this so hard to review. I'm a fan of all of these guys so going in I knew that I had to read this. It makes the 2nd book that much harder to read. How the hell are they going to keep the momentum going?

      So far The Gore Carnival is a hit and Jaded Books has certainly made a statement. As a new publisher it's important to make a statement and I believe that they have. You have to have quality writers in order to succeed and so far they're off to a good start. Book One of The Gore Carnival Series is a book for splatterpunk fans as well as horror fans.There's a lot of great talent here. Now I'm going to wrap this up so I can get into book 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ball Washer

The Pain and Misery