Time Eaters

     Time Eaters - Jay Wilburn 3/5  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ES5Q98K/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1
     
           
                                                   


     I snagged a copy of this from Netgalley and it was interesting for a bit and then seemed a drag a bit. It's one of those novels that borrows a lot from other genres but stays original. The premise itself is interesting, but as it nears its conclusion it just becomes a bit boring. This is a book in which you have to pay attention. If you lose track or fail to pay attention then you're going to be hopelessly lost. It goes into two time frames, Before and after and these are essential to the stories narrative. It wouldn't be a proper time travel novel without these two narratives. The problem is that it all becomes so overwhelming that by the end I was just glad it was over. It wasn't bad mind you just a bit boring. I like how the story is set up, and I like the premise, and for awhile I was reading like a mad man and then it just seemed to drag a bit.

     The fault isn't in the story telling. Wilburn knows how to tell a story. It does a great job at blending in time travelling and horror. The Time Eaters themselves are the stuff of nightmares. This was an interesting aspect of the story and one that I really enjoyed. The thing that seemed to make me loss interest was the how the plot evolved. I like a variety of fiction but for some reason I just could not get done with this fast enough. This just isn't a genre that I would find myself reading again. There is a moral to the story and one that becomes glaringly obvious as you read the novel. These are strong characters and yes they remain strong throughout the novel, and it's a book that covers a variety of emotions and topics without becoming preachy.

     I gave it three stars because it's ambitious and despite its flaws it isn't a bad read. Wilburn does a great job at slowly building a novel that demands all of your attention. If you like novels that exist outside of your normal genres this one is interesting, but be warned that there is a bit of violence here, but it's used well and Wilburn doesn't go overboard with it. You need a bit of violence to balance out the story. Time Eaters is a book that seems to be split between those that love it or hate it. I for one am in the middle. I didn't love and I didn't hate it either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ball Washer

The Pain and Misery