Fast Times At Cine Mega Plex High 5/5 stars
                                             
   

      This has been on my to be read list since it first came out, but then I got a bit sidetracked which happens more than I care to admit. As I looked through my Kindle app I rediscovered this and I began to read. Vaughn is a talented guy. He knows how to create these weird, sick stories, but they're well written, and laced with the right amount of black humor that you can't help but laugh at. It's a short story collection where all the stories are linked together, and influenced by various film genres. Thing is, Vaughn has put his own little spin on each genre so it becomes something a bit darker and far more twisted.

       While it may offend some readers, if you're a fan of weird fiction, this is a classic that spoofs some iconic films, but I won't tell you which ones. It's your job to read the book and find out what they are. All I will tell you is each story is sure to make you either chuckle, or close the book in disgust. I've been a fan of this guys for awhile and it's nice to see him growing as a writer. He's not treading water and churning out the same type of book. With each release there's a natural progression which is essential when you're writing this type of fiction. The only issue is the length of the book. Way too short, and I read it in just over an hour. Still, it's a decent collection that you need to read if you're a fan of this kind of fiction.

        So, as with any short story collection, I never review each story individually. I grade it as a whole and this one flows nicely. You have the same recurring characters to link all the stories together. This makes it feel more like a book instead of just a collection of stories. The glue that holds it all together is the high school and the characters who are named after a genre of film. It makes the book unique and while it seems like an insane idea, it works. Each character invokes a different reaction from the reader, and the pure insanity of it all is what makes it so good. Mega Plex isn't weird just to be weird, but even if it was so what. It's a lot of fun to read and sometimes that's enough. Having the talent to pull it off is just an added bonus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ball Washer

The Pain and Misery