Dark And Disturbing

Monstrosities - Jeremy C. Shipp
                                                             
 

      When my tablet died I had to move everything to my phone. It was a pain in the ass, but I found books that I forgot I had. I balance between digital and dead tree so it's possible that some things just fall through the cracks. Monstrosities is one of those books I had gotten way back when I got my first tablet and just forgot about. Not that there's anything wrong with it I just keep putting it aside and soon forgot that I had it. I have a huge to be read pile and I don't think I'll ever get to everything on the list, but I am glad I found Monstrosities. This is one that I should have read a long time ago.

      Shipp has a style all his own and this is a very short collection. The stories at times seem like ideas that came suddenly and their impact is felt long after you read them. Shipp writes dark horror that borders on bizarro. These are stories that sometimes feel like an assault on your senses. They hit fast and hard and then it's onto the next. Because they're so short it's hard to say that any of these are bad. Shipp is the kind of writer that defies all the rules of conventional horror and has created something unique. You can't categorize any of these, and I dare you too try. There are ten stories in this collection and not a clunker in the bunch. If you're looking for something short and unique to read this is a collection worth checking out.

      This is a writer that clearly writes that stick with you and remind you that fiction is often about taking risks and taking your readers to places they might not go on their own. I plan on reading more of his work just to see what he's capable of. Do yourself a favor and pick this up. You won't regret it. This is for those that aren't afraid to take a few risks and allow themselves to read beyond their comfort zone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ball Washer

The Pain and Misery